You are here:Home>AidWorks

AidWorks

Hosted by Albion Harrison-Naish, AidWorks looks into the often confusing world of international aid & development.

AidWorks was devised in 2010 by Cate Coorey and Tim O'Connor who, with backgrounds in both development and media, saw a lack of depth of discussion, and consequently knowledge, of those parts of the world where people live in poverty and where other people are trying to change that through what is called "development".

AidWorks is the only news show in Australia devoted to an examination of international poverty and its alleviation. We aim to look beyond the usual media cycle of disaster and conflict and to report on the challenges, the triumphs, the amazingly talented and inspiring people and the conversations taking place all over the world about how to make our planet a more equitable and just place. 

We can be contacted at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or through our facebook, or twitter pages.

Shows On Demand


Aidworks 12 August 2015

On tonights show Rory is joined by Terence Wood. Terence is a Research Fellow at the Development Policy Centre who previously worked for the New Zealand Government's Aid Programme and he recently wrote a piece titled 'Why the SDG's will break your heart'. The SDG's refers to the Sustainable Development Goals which are set to replace the Millennium Development Goals that will expire later this year.

You can read Terence's article in full here:

Why The SDG's Will Break Your Heart by terence Woods

Aidworks 5 August 2015

On tonights show we play a few of our favorite interviews from our old friend Albion Harrison-Nash. First up Albion considers how effective is foreign aid in improving government services in developing nations – to discuss this issue he is joined by Heidi Tavakoli from the Overseas Development Institute which is a Brithis think tank focused international aid and development issues. Next up Albion has a chat with Weh Yoh a local development worker who had recently returned from working with handicapped children in China. Weh speaks to Albion about his experiences as well as the nature of doing aid work in China.

Aidworks 29 July 2015

Chad. His trial began in Senegal on Monday but took an unexpected turn today when it was postponed 45 days after Habré's attorneys did not show for the trial. Hissène Habré is a former U.S. ally who has been described as "Africa's Pinochet." He is accused of killing as many as 40,000 people during his eight years in power in the 1980s. Habré is being tried in a special court established after a two-decade-long campaign led by his victims.

Aidworks 15 July 2015

On tonights show wee look at the humanitarian catastrophe unfolding in Yemen

- Aid groups and the UN are warning that Yemen is on the brink of famine as the Saudi led attack intensifies. More than 3000 people including 1500 civilians have died in Yemen since the US backed Saudi offensive against the Huthi rebel group began on March 26.

- A Saudi naval blockade has cut off fuel and food supply lines for much of the country – according to the United Nations 80% of Yemen's 25 million people are now in need of some form of humanitarian aid – more than 1 million Yemenese have fled their homes. Stephan Du-Jerique a spokesperson UN secutary general Ban Ki Moon addressed the crisis last Wednesday

Aidworks 8 July 2015

We had an international guest joining us on the show this week. Bec Allen speaks with Weh Yeoh,the Managing Director of OIC: The Cambodia Project. They discuss the wide scope of work Weh is undertaking in Cambodia and the nature of his current visit to currently visiting Australia where he is attending a number of high level meetings.

Aidworks 1 July 2015

On this weeks show we're looking at how Vanuatu's recovery from tropical cyclone Pam is progressing. Tom Bamforth from the Australian Red Cross talks about who lost a house, who got a house, and whether any of those houses will still be standing when the next cyclone hits Vanuatu.

Aidworks 24 June 2015

Joining us on the show this week is Adam Valvasori. Adam has spent the last 16 years working in and with NGOs, corporates and governments in various national and international roles. He currently works for World Vision where he is the project manager for the Campaign for Australian Aid and he joins us tonight to discuss the Campaign for Australian Aid.

Aidworks 17 June 2015

On tonight's show we look at two different Australian aid projects that have achieved amazing results in improving the lives of people in extreme poverty. The first is the 'island rescue project' where Australian aid workers on the pacific nation of Kirabas have drastically improved access to clean water and sanitation. We then turn our attention to Afghanistan where Australian aid workers working for the save the children project in Uruzghan province have reduced the infant mortality by 33%.

Aidworks 10 June 2015

Inequality is increasingly being recognised as one of the great global challenges of our time. Research conducted by Oxfam earlier this year revealed that just 80 wealthy individuals hold more wealth than the poorest 3.5 billion people and that the richest 1% of the world's population will have more combined wealth than the remaining 99% of people next year, unless the rapid rise of inequality is stopped.

This has been dubbed the age of inequality and was the theme for ACFID's 5th annual University Network Conference. ACFID (Australian Council For International Development) is the peak body for Australia's aid and development organisations and last weeks conference was titled 'Evidence and practice in an age of inequality'. The conference brought together international development leaders to discuss and debate a variety of topics.

Inequality comes in many forms and has many faces. It is enmeshed with issues of gender, disability, age, living with HIV and AIDS, sexual orientation, religion, and ethnic minorities. Over two days more than 40 papers were presented to the conference introducing new research on a range of issues, including: inequality and health; gender, education, class and inequality and the importance of governance and security in combating inequality.
Joining Rory to tell us about the Conference is Meghan Cooper Research Coordinator for ACFID.

Aidworks 10 June 2015

Inequality is increasingly being recognised as one of the great global challenges of our time. Research conducted by Oxfam earlier this year revealed that just 80 wealthy individuals hold more wealth than the poorest 3.5 billion people and that the richest 1% of the world's population will have more combined wealth than the remaining 99% of people next year, unless the rapid rise of inequality is stopped.

This has been dubbed the age of inequality and was the theme for ACFID's 5th annual University Network Conference. ACFID (Australian Council For International Development) is the peak body for Australia's aid and development organisations and last weeks conference was titled 'Evidence and practice in an age of inequality'. The conference brought together international development leaders to discuss and debate a variety of topics.

Inequality comes in many forms and has many faces. It is enmeshed with issues of gender, disability, age, living with HIV and AIDS, sexual orientation, religion, and ethnic minorities. Over two days more than 40 papers were presented to the conference introducing new research on a range of issues, including: inequality and health; gender, education, class and inequality and the importance of governance and security in combating inequality.
Joining Rory to tell us about the Conference is Meghan Cooper Research Coordinator for ACFID.

News & Events

Support us

subscribe to newsletter